Please update this blog URL to:
Thank you so very much!!!

Monday, September 24, 2012

S Is For Strawflowers

Yellow Straw-flower
I planted these beautiful straw-flowers in a huge container on my front porch this year, and they bloomed beautifully for the last three months. I came across a packet of seeds at the Dollar Store last winter for only 10 cents, and thought it was worth to pick up.

Pink Straw-flower 
It was a packet of mixed colors, so I have yellow, pink, and white strawflowers taking turn to bloom. Besides watering, I didn't have to do anything for them, or to them! The stems of these strawflowers grow up to about 4 feet!

Seeds of White Straw-flower
As you can see, the heart of this gorgeous white strawflower was ready to fly away, but I harvest them for next year planting. The silky part of strawflower looks very much alike to old dandelion.

One thing noticeable about strawflowers is that their petal is very rouge to the touch, and has the feel of touching straw/hay. The flowers attract more ants than bees or butterflies.

Joining Alphabe-Thursday!

Listed in Alphabe-Flowers Series!

Bless you for READING MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful as always, Mumsy! Glad to see you are still enjoying your flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ~ Incredible flowers and fantastic photography ~ (A Creative Harbor

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are great macro shuts, they do take your breath away

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to look for those for next year. They are beautiful. Do they need full sun.


    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvonne, they are in partial shade during the morning, and then full sun in the afternoon until late evening!

      Delete
  5. Such a variety of colors, all of them glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEAUTIFULLY Photographed!

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely straw flowers in such beautiful colors ~ Great photography! ~ (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing what 10 cents can buy! The flowers are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful shots all -- and smart girl for harvesting the seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lot of joy and beauty for a dime!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how the petals seem to be windblown.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was a great buy that lasted three months. Beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great deal you got!! I have always loved strawflowers. I think that the rough petals are actually bracts, and the flower is in the middle. I may plant some in my garden next year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a strikingly beautiful simply pleasure and a good blessing! Thanks for the share!

    ReplyDelete
  15. they are gorgeous! I love how brilliant each are.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love strawflowers!

    I used to grow a lot of them back in Ohio and then make them into wreaths and garlands to sell at craft shows!

    My favorite was always the lavender ones, but the yellow ones always seemed to sell better!

    Thanks for another special floral link to the letter "S".

    A+

    ReplyDelete

I promise to visit you soon! But if your profile isn't public, and if you use GOOGLE+ comment form, I won't be able to return comment!

***LINK IN COMMENT WON'T BE PUBLISHED!!!***

I write what I feel, how I feel and whatever I like at the moment

MAKE IT BETTER!

Total Pageviews

  © Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover