Please update this blog URL to:
Thank you so very much!!!

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

N Is For Nicotiania

A Group Of Nicotiana
These pretty flowers are called Nicotiana, and the newest addition in my pot garden this year. They come in a variety of colors: red, yellow, white, lavender, and pink. As you might have guessed, Nicotiana is also known as Tobacco Flowers.

Yellow Nicotiana
Nicotina flowers continuously bloom throughout the season, and have a sweet fragrant, but the plants are poisonous if swallowed. It is suggested to plant these beautiful trumpet shaped Nicotiana in partial shade to full sun.

Red Nicotiana  
Nicotiana flowers are easy, tolerate of the heat and dry soil. They love water, but not wet soil. I had them in a pot by my front porch, and the sweet fragrant is just heavenly when the breeze carrying them in the air around us.

I've read that hummingbirds love these nicotiana flowers, but mine was not in the right spot for the birds to venture to.

Joining Alphabe-Thursday!

(Listed in Alphabe-Flowers Series)

Bless you for READING





MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

17 comments:

  1. Lovely shot ~ do they really have nicotine in them? (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really pretty blooms and stunning photography. The blooms look a bit like FourO'clocks which are prolific perineals here Texas during the summer. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my Deep In The Heart of Texas post...Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting Mumsy. Do bees pollanate these flowers? Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. they are beautiful, and you really take beautiful shots. my first time to hear about nicotiania flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful colors. good to know about the poisonous properties.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look and sound lovely, but the association with smoking is a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never seen or heard of these before. They are simply beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. never saw nicotiania before but I would probably like their scent.

    great N post. have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love getting flowers from you every week, Mumsy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your pictures and what a pretty flower that is. I really liked how you described the flower as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such pretty blossoms! I especially like the scent of the white variety.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty! I love the red! Red is my favorite color!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful shots! With the drought everywhere this is such a wonderful flower! I love the bright colors. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. great addition to a garden -- love hummingbirds!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the fragrance of Flowering Tobacco in the evenings! Great photos, Mumsy!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the fragrance of Nicotiania. The colors are so rich.

    I don't think it grows here in the low elevations, but I always had these nifty plants in my Ohio gardens!

    Thank you for linking.

    A+

    ReplyDelete

I promise to visit you soon! But if your profile isn't public, and if you use GOOGLE+ comment form, I won't be able to return comment!

***LINK IN COMMENT WON'T BE PUBLISHED!!!***

I write what I feel, how I feel and whatever I like at the moment

MAKE IT BETTER!

Total Pageviews

  © Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover