Please update this blog URL to:
Thank you so very much!!!

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

V Is For VietNam

I came to America when I was 17, and Vietnam was my country, of which I had not much knowledge of. I don't feel a connection to my native land, and have no desire to go back. It is strange how I am not even curious of my birth place, even though I have great and rare memories with my family growing up when I was home.


I spent my life from when I was 7 to when I was 15 in an orphanage/convent, and my experiences were not something I am fond of, or want to remember. The harsh and cruel treatments toward a handicap person made my skin peeled.

Vietnam to me is an un-welcomed country to disable people, and a place that manifests in ridiculing imperfect physicality! This idea was pounded in my brain when I was a child, thus to attest if it is true or not, I have no mean of doing. I was taught so, and I believed so.

Above all, with my experiences from childhood, the scar was too deep to erase!


Things could have changed over the years, but my thoughts on Vietnam, a beautiful country, have not budged. It scares me for some reasons mentally! There are other places on this earth that I have no interest in visiting, such as New York, China, and Japan, but they don't tug a terrifying nerve in me. If I win tickets to go, I would go without resistance.

I live more than half of my life here in America, and I am a US citizen, but when filling out paperwork, I still have to mark my origin as Vietnam. I have no Vietnamese friends, or belong to any Vietnamese organizations, but my root is still deeply related to Vietnam...

Joining Alphabe-Thursday!

(Listed in Mixed Memories Series)





MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

19 comments:

  1. How sad to have such mixed feelings about the place you were born. I only remember good things about my birthplace even though I haven't been there in many years...

    xxoo,

    RMW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your roots may be from Vietnam, but clearly your heart is not and that's perfectly ok. ((hugs)) for all you went through in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry that your childhood left such deep scars! I'm glad you have managed to find your spark of life and hope in spite of a painful beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sad post. I am so sorry that your childhood experiences have scarred you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you have found a place you can claim as your new homeland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry that Vietnam holds such painful memories for you, but I'm glad that you have been able to find your way to some happiness since.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't imagine the childhood you went through and I'm sorry that you did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I spent childhood hearing about Vietnam I am so sorry for how you feel and what you went through

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you made your way to America and feel comfortable here. I am sad, though, that your memories of Vietnam are not good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To be honest I don't know much about Vietnam other than what I have heard about the war. Your heart lies here now and I do hope your scars begin to heal. I can't begin to imagine the pain you have gone through.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never been there, and don't have any desire to go. The war left so many scars on many of my friends. Glad you are here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely photos...I do not know exactly what to say to ease the pains of your past but know that like everyone I am ready to listen to your every word and I am glad to have known you...blessed day...this is such a beautiful post....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad you are here. The great thing about roots is that they can be replanted elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are an American now, and that's what counts. We love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I perfectly understand mumsy, there's a lot I know who is like you, thankfully, you are here now, building better and happy memories. god bless you, always.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had a wonderful childhood and I feel for you because it was not fair the treatment you received. Your pain and suffering has made you a strong person. Don't dwell on the past. I was raised in a Catholic home and attended their schools. We were never allowed to make light of anyone and even today I am very fair with all I meet. I figure everyone carries some sadness, some fear and why should I treat them disrespectfully? I am very kind to all I meet and pray for those I see with a h=troubled heart. God bless you dear one, you have come a long way and you are well loved here. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mumsy, we are very lucky to have you here in Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am always excited about Visiting your blog...

    Your words have a lot of Value...

    Thanks for linking such a wonderful post for the letter "V"!

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think you are right. But in general - a country like Vietnam is not welcoming or flexible with anything that is not considered normal. Not just handicap, but different races, unless it's talking money. Also it is a deveoping and not very resourceful country, so its capability of providing comfort is almost a luxury it won't support or cannot support. You're right, going there would be tortue for you, but people have taken babies and the elderly back, so you're a lot more capable than them?

    ReplyDelete

I promise to visit you soon! But if your profile isn't public, and if you use GOOGLE+ comment form, I won't be able to return comment!

***LINK IN COMMENT WON'T BE PUBLISHED!!!***

I write what I feel, how I feel and whatever I like at the moment

MAKE IT BETTER!

Total Pageviews

  © Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover