Please update this blog URL to:
Thank you so very much!!!

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

O is For Operation

This is a story that my mom told me over and over again every time she sees me, about the circumstances in which became my life destination. To put it bluntly, how I became a handicapped!


According to mother, I was a big girl, healthy, and strong for an 8-month old baby. In fact, I was bigger than any of my siblings at that age.  My older sister and I both got sick at the same time, and we both had symptoms of the cold/flu.  A family doctor was called in, and without any physical examination, he gave each of us an injection to lower the fever.

My older sister actually got better, but I didn't! Something was serious wrong with me! When mother tried to stand me up, I couldn't, even though I could hold on to things and stood up on my own before the injection took place.

I stopped laughing, bouncing, smiling, and just crying in vain!

A day later, while stripping me down for a bath, mother found the injection site on my right thigh swollen as big as a balloon, and was filled with liquid. Terrifying with the scene, she summoned the family doctor back to the house.  He swore up and down that it was not his doing.


Mother showed him the site of his injection on my thigh, which was now yellow in fluid, and I wouldn't stop crying. The doctor then made 7 cuts on this huge bubble that took over my entire thigh to drain the fluid out. (I still have all 7 scars!)

After the bubble had burst, it left a dent on my right thigh, and I was then officially declared an invalid.  I could no longer stand up, and my right leg was 1 and 1/2 inches shorter than my left one.  I also had no control over it.  The muscles and main nerve were damaged!

We found out much later that when the doctor gave me the injection, it hit the main nerve in my right thigh, and I had a touch of polio, not just the common cold/flu! Had he taken the time to exam me, he would know that my symptoms were different than that of my older sister's.

There was no law suit in my country to take the doctor to court! After all, the damage was done, and he was my father's trusted friend. The worst thing about this doctor was that, he made the same mistake with another boy after me.

Thanks for READING!

Joining Alphabe-Thursday!

(Listed in Mixed Memories Series)





MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

13 comments:

  1. How awful! A doctor must be careful, very careful!

    It is what it is, and you are a very beautiful person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so scary. He really should have been more careful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. am so sorry mumsy, sadly, in some countries like yours and mine, suing a doctor is not very common (though it has changed a bit now in my country), and those who did usually get tired from the very slow justice system and don't have enough means(money) to sustain the delayed justice :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like this story. I'm so sad that that's what damaged your leg--a stupid doctor. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry for the pain you have suffered in your life. My brother also had polio as a child. He was fortunate that he had only a very mild case and has suffered no long-lasting effects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm afraid doctors in every country make mistakes. I'm so sorry it happened to you, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To change someone's whole life just because he didn't want to take the time to actually diagnose what was wrong, is a crime. I hope that someday he will have to answer...

    xxoo,

    RMW

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so sad to read your story. My grandmother had polio in her left arm and she was not able to use it. She has long passed, but I never realized how one might acquire polio. I'm so sorry this happened to you and another boy. I'm sure it was difficult, but thank you for sharing your story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's hard enough to have such a problem, but somehow it hurts even worse when you know that it might have been prevented.

    I had a surgery that left me with a really undesirable legacy, and while I have to go back and grieve now and then, I usually don't like to go there. Most of the time, it only makes me feel worse.

    You are a good example of someone who has fought through a very difficult set of circumstances. Thanks for sharing your journey so freely here.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mummsy, I am in so much pain in right leg. I had the shot in the hosp.(Cortisone)under the xray machine in the hip. Didn't help a bit. I am worse and my leg is in pain and gives away at times.
    I am so mad at Doctors that are just careless, they want to get you in and out. They have it down to a science, 15 minutes and bill So.Sec= $75. We are booked in like a Hotel, they want to fill every minute so they can work 3 days a week.
    As for your Doctor he should have been Tared and Feathered and run out of town.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Mumsy. This makes me so sad.

    I could never, ever think of you as being an invalid.

    Your thoughts and your very being make you valid in so many ways...

    Your bravery and courage validates your very existence in this world.

    Bless you sweet lady.

    Hugs and A+

    ReplyDelete

I promise to visit you soon! But if your profile isn't public, and if you use GOOGLE+ comment form, I won't be able to return comment!

***LINK IN COMMENT WON'T BE PUBLISHED!!!***

I write what I feel, how I feel and whatever I like at the moment

MAKE IT BETTER!

Total Pageviews

  © Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover