Please update this blog URL to:
Thank you so very much!!!

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

B Is For Bittersweet

Two weeks after arriving at Indian Town Gap in Pennsylvania, I was taken into the hospital for examination. Many people believed that I could be saved and would have a chance to a normal life. I had to say good bye to my family, friends, and my English teacher at the camp.

One of my father's acquaintances, who worked closely with the clinic at the camp suggested that the doctors here in the US could fix my leg, therefore he pushed his wishes through the office and established a spot for me at the hospital in Baltimore.


This man, I knew and called him uncle as our tradition dictated. He told me once that when we reached America, he would do everything he could to have my leg fixed so I could dance, run, and jump like other girls, because I always looked too sad to him.

Little did he know that I had just come out of an abusive life with my aunt, and I was lost. I had to deal with the fact that everyone thought of me as a useless, helpless cripple. At 17, the sense of being a human was in question when your life had no validation, and that sentiment passed down to the root of my soul.


To honor his promise, the uncle put me on the bus to be admitted to the hospital for tests and experiments. He had such high hope to see me coming back as a "normal" girl, and yet all I could feel was like a guinea pig about to go through all kind of torture!

I was placed on the floor for women and a room for myself at the hospital. The first night passed with so much anxiety and sadness that I wished I wasn't there.

Joining Alphabet-Thursday!

(Listed in Teenager Years series)




MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

15 comments:

  1. What a story!. Surly you will finish it and not leave us hanging. I wish there were more people like the man you all uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes please keep us posted. as someone going through treatment myself,I find talking about even the small things will help you get through the bigger things that much easier

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you were no longer under the power of your aunt, but it must have been really scary waiting to see what would happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mumsy, you know you have to finish this story. We want to know exactly what happened!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This had to be so lonely and scary for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so sad when no one around you can see your fear and loneliness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mumsy, your story continues to keep me on the edge of my seat. I felt your uneasiness and fears in your words.

    More than anything, I wish you Peace, my friend.

    I hope this journey of remembrance is not too painful for you.

    Thank you for sharing your heart.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goodness....what a story.!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your story is such a difficult one. To have experienced so much at such a young age is just heartbreaking.

    But you came through it, and knowing that strengthens others.

    Thanks for sharing, Mumsy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you at least got away from your aunt and hope things got better not worse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. mumsy, I can feel your pain, the intensity in your words so haunting. One of my best friends in high school has polio, and though we enjoyed exploring the river and the mountains together, yet in our serious dreamy moments, we would always dream that something can be changed. there were times we would laugh together, and some times we would cry together. looking forward to the next of this story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mumsy, you've endured so much. I am sorry to read about how anxious and bad you felt in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, talk about feeling your pain...

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is nice to be able to let it out. Everything is tough and though some have it tougher than others.

    ReplyDelete

I promise to visit you soon! But if your profile isn't public, and if you use GOOGLE+ comment form, I won't be able to return comment!

***LINK IN COMMENT WON'T BE PUBLISHED!!!***

I write what I feel, how I feel and whatever I like at the moment

MAKE IT BETTER!

Total Pageviews

  © Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover