Please update this blog URL to:
Thank you so very much!!!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

O Is For Optical

My older brother and I both had bad vision at a young age! I credited mine to nights of studying under the blanket using nothing but street light at the orphanage. I had no idea what happened to my brother's eyes since everyone else in the family were just fine with their vision.

Once my dad brought me home from the orphanage, I knew I needed glasses, but we couldn't afford to get a pair for me. Being older, my brother worked odd and end jobs; thereby he was able to acquire the glasses for himself. I used to sneak around and wore his whenever he left it lying around.


Wearing glasses were a signs of imperfection  and unhealthy in a sense, back then!  My brother didn't wear it in public, so when he was out and about, I wore his glasses at home. A whole new world was finally in clear focus for me.  Everything was much sharper and I could see. It was the best revelation ever!

I told my brother about my problem with vision, how I couldn't see the board, and how other classmates thought that I was too "stuck-up".  Yes, it was all because I couldn't see! Everything and everyone were blurry, and I couldn't tell which was which, or who was who! It all finally made sense why I failed at school.


My brother decided that we would share his glasses together. Since I had school during the day, I would wear the glasses, and he would wear it in the evening for his school. Despite the tradition myth of a "nerd", I wore my brother's glasses only when I was in class to see the blackboard, and squinted my eyes the rest of the time.

Being able to see what was written on the board was just amazing, and I didn't have to ask my friends to read the lessons to me anymore. Once the kids found out that I wore glasses, "four eyes" became my nickname, even though I had very limited uses of it. 

Joining Alphabe-Thursday!

(Listed in Mish-Mash Series)





MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

22 comments:

  1. That is bittersweet. It is tough when you are a kid and need glasses to see the board, some don't even discover that til much later. Now they give vision tests at school...In fact I am the one helping doing them now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost my vision when I was about 8 or 9. My brother had some magic rocks things, can't remember exactly what they were, but they grew or did something in water. Well I was being a smarty pants and hoppin around the table they were on. I ended up knocking them over and the stuff spilled in my eyes. They took me to the ER and they flushed my eyes out. But I woke the next morning and I couldn't see a thing. Over the years my vision has gotten progressively worse. I know can't make anything out that is more than 6 inches from my face without my contacts in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My siblings and I all had glasses at a young age. They got theirs in Kindergarten and I in 5th grade. Are those May Apples under the ice, seems to early so I expect it is something that is evergreen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing story. Kids can be so cruel. Thanks for sharing, I found you on Alphabe-Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never wore glasses until I was in my forties and what an adjustment it was. I moaned and groaned about them to anyone who would listen...

    Your post really puts some perspective on it. I won't complain about them any more....

    Your brother was certainly a good kid to share with you....

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is amazing the same pair of glassess worked for both of you. It is great you could share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's quite a story! Thanks for sharing it! I got my glasses in 4th grade, but probably mostly wore them at school to see the board.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, what great problem solving. Isn't it funny you really don't know what you are missing until you have it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kids can be so cruel. I wear glassesd adn first noticed at 17 when I was at college, if I sat at the abck I couldn't read the board. When I told my mother she didn't believe me and I had to go and get my own glasses.
    Funny isn't it that nowadays they are a fashion statement!
    Great post and beautiful photos

    ReplyDelete
  10. You two were pretty clever to figure out a way you could both use them, but I feel so bad that you didn't have your own pair!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sister had very poor vision and my mother got glasses for her when she was in middle school. When I complained about my vision, my mother ignored me, so like your brother, I saved my babysitting money and went to the eye doctor on my own. When I got glasses, my mother was furious because I had done it on my own. She said I had made her look bad, because the eye doctor was a neighbor. She was always telling me to take the glasses off because I didn't need them. I ignored her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that he shared with you.

    I got my first pair of glasses when I was 7. It opened up a whole new world!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great story Mums. I wear glasses, but at the same time I do not wear them. I am stubborn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Man. How fortunate that the pair worked for you both.

    How fortunate we are that you share these stories of endurance and perserverance with us.

    On days when I'm feeling like things are pretty yucky, you always make me realize I can survive darn near anything.

    Thanks for an outstanding link to Alphabe-Thursday.

    You are my hero.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so happy that your brother could afford the glasses so that you were able to share them with him. How terrible it must have been for you to see the world, but not really "see" it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kids can be so cruel - but it's so sweet you two figured out a system, he sounds like a great brother!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a touching story. It's such a shame that people feel bad about wearing glasses.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a touching story. It's such a shame that people feel bad about wearing glasses.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's hard to wear classes when you're a kid, but it's better than not seeing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fortunately, wearing glasses at school is not such a big deal any more (in my experience anyway). I remember kids being called 'Four eyes' in my own school days though. One of my friends wore glasses and she was name called quite often by the ignorant kids.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's good that glasses could correct the problem, but too bad you couldn't get your own. I've worn glasses since 8th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How strange to be sharing glasses eh? But in the poor world, I have heard that is how people live. Now a day there is Zenni Optical.

    ReplyDelete

I promise to visit you soon! But if your profile isn't public, and if you use GOOGLE+ comment form, I won't be able to return comment!

***LINK IN COMMENT WON'T BE PUBLISHED!!!***

I write what I feel, how I feel and whatever I like at the moment

MAKE IT BETTER!

Total Pageviews

  © Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover