Please update this blog URL to:
Thank you so very much!!!

Thursday, November 11, 2010

H is For The Hunger And The Homeless

The letter H brings on so different subjects that I'd like to write about, but after many attempts and many days of contemplating, I decided to write about hunger!  If you've read my Childhood Series, you know that as a child I was sent to bed starving more often than I can count.

I knew first-hand the physical pain hunger brought to the body, and the hollow sound of an empty stomach that had nothing to sustain one's being.  When I was so hungry, my head hurt, I hallucinated and I was dizzy.  Hence, I couldn't fathom the thought of sending my child to bed without food, no matter what he/she did.


Now I live in the richest country of the world, and see homeless people everywhere!  Besides having no home, they are having no foods to eat either.  I saw an array of these people at my church on Wednesday and Friday mornings when they come in from the cold, and have one simple peanut butter sandwich for lunch.

For those two days only, these homeless people were fed and were full temporary!  Where do they go for meals on other days or how do they get foods to nurture their body?  It amazed me that we always seem to reach out and take care of other countries, but the problem of the homeless, and the hunger remain high in our own homeland.


Churches made extra collection of donation and then disburse it to other countries while all around them, closer to home, the suffering continues.  You might think that I have a small mind, but this just doesn't sit right with me.  If I have extra money, I would prefer to give to the homeless old man that I saw slept under the bridge bypass, than try to take care of another country.

My world would be beautiful if all of the hunger and homeless people were taken care of first in this country, before taking on other countries' problem.  I know, all humans are God's children and we have the responsibility to help them, but then there is nothing wrong with taking care of our own people either.

Joining Alphabe-Thursday!

(Listed in Mish-Mash Series)




MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

21 comments:

  1. And the problem just keeps getting worse Mumsy. I've seen so many more homeless over the past several years. I think many people don't want to admit that this problem exists in their own back yards, it hits too close to home. But yes, I agree, we need to take care of our own first, especially the children. Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree. Start with home first, but don't ignore the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh so very sad and true. I could never imagine the pain of being hungry. I come from a family that revolved and still does around food. Very poignant post Mumsy..and thanks for visiting me...I have enjoyed my break time and will be around on occasion now. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the very same way. There is so much needed in our own neighborhoods. Just start right around you! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope this post encourages its readers to give to others around them who need help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree to a certain degree. I was born in a third world country and lived on the streets in dire poverty until I was seven. That kind of hunger is unreal. I try to remember those near and far. Great post and really thought provoking. Sometimes it's nice to come upon a post that has depth and meaning. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. We should not even have hungry people in this country.

    "/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the gentle and firm reminder. I am in complete agreement with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Imagine what we could do as a country if we took care of ours first and then had all those extra people to help others!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am your newest follower from Jenny Matlock. My middle name is Helper. Please follow me as well. Thank you.

    The Disconnected Writer
    http://thedisconnectedwriter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently returned from my 45 year nursing school reunion in New Orleans and it amazes me to see so much of this city, in our own country, still boarded up and not recovered from the aftermath of Katrina. Away from the tourist areas, New Orleans has always had a huge poor population and that has grown poorer. I am as humanitarian as the next person but I agree, we need to help our own citizens and cities FIRST.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I worked in the soup kitchen of a church serving breakfast to the homeless - there are too many people without a job, or food or a home in this big, rich country of ours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have taken the words right out of my mouth. I have been saying this for years...I just do not understand why we take care of other before taking care of our own. It is a real heart breaker.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I ask myself the same questions too. What do they do for the other days? Eat enough to last them two days?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree that is a sad indictment of our rich countries that we still have people who are homeless against their choice and many who are hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mumsy. This is one of my major sadnesses in the US. My husband and I contribute to food banks and will always try to give food if we see someone in need.

    Some months back I wrote a post specifically about this subject, and I'd like to share it with you as well:

    http://jennymatlock.blogspot.com/2010/01/i-wish-i-was-master-of-photoshop-pkw.html

    Living in a country with so much waste it seems like a sin that so many people are hungry and so many children are still crying themselves to sleep with empty bellies.

    Thank you for this thoughtful and thought provoking post.

    I wish I had answers instead of only questions.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have always believed in starting at home and working my way out.

    Unfortunately, the homeless situation in the US is a very complicated issue.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Candidates running for seats in Washington spend a sinful amount of money trying to get elected. Just once I would like to hear one of those people tell the nation that they are donating all their campaign funds to feed America's hungry!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mumsy, I could never understand how our country pays farmers to sit on their lands as they say we have a surplus of crops. Couldn't they go ahead and grow crops to help others?

    ReplyDelete

I promise to visit you soon! But if your profile isn't public, and if you use GOOGLE+ comment form, I won't be able to return comment!

***LINK IN COMMENT WON'T BE PUBLISHED!!!***

I write what I feel, how I feel and whatever I like at the moment

MAKE IT BETTER!

Total Pageviews

  © Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover