Please update this blog URL to:
Thank you so very much!!!

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

B is For Body

Nobody is aware of the differences in his/her body more than the handicap person himself/herself.  Growing up as an "abnormal" girl under the eyes of society, I was constantly being reminded of this ordeal.  Most often, I didn't feel any different.  I thought I was just another girl.  I couldn't run, skip, or jump, but if I stood still, I was as normal as the next girl.

I had a body with two arms and two legs, except my right leg was about two inches shorter than the left one due to the injection.  I just walked wobbly, but back then a little different was a major reject!  What people defined normal was beyond my comprehension!  I just knew I was a handicap and I accepted it.


My disability limited me from many activities, but I could also do lots of other activities.  No one would acknowledge that or recognize that!  Just because I walked different, I was automatically on the "toss out" list, and labeled as useless.  I had to prove this theory over and over again to myself and to others.

Living with aunt, I wasn't allowed to sit and cry for my meal.  I had to earn my keep.  I had to contribute to my presence, and proved my worth.  In fact, I carried more chores than a normal person ever did in that orphanage.  My leg though damaged, my hands were not!  I might walk slower than others, but I did get to where I supposed to be!


I learned that different people have different body types, sizes, and shapes.  Very few had the perfect Hollywood body mode.  There were also different types and level of disability or handicap.  Some could function like any others with difficulties, but could still live a full life.  Some might need help, and some totally depend on others.

It is encouraging to see the way people change their view on disable individuals, and respect their right as human.  I didn't ask to be different.  It was handed to me and I embrace it as long as I can take.  My body had a little dent, but my mind, my feeling, and everything else is still intact...

Join Alphabe-Thursday at Jenny Matlock! 

(Listed in Mish-Mash Series)




MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

22 comments:

  1. I am happy that you can treat your handicap as if it was a "little dent" and so glad to see that your mind and attitude is so intact ... good for you Mumsy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And your heart is and was bigger than most Mumsy, so I guess that made you just a tad different too. Today it certainly does seem to be accepted...our neighbor boy has MD, and my boys play with him just the same as they do any other kid, and have just as good a time....he is a normal young boy in a wheel chair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mumsy...Your post really touched my heart. When I was growing up my doctor was going to have 12 children, but his 11th was a cerebral palsy little boy. He and his wife never had the 12th. Once I was entered Emory University in Atlanta, I would accompany him back and forth on the airplane as he was sent to the Cerebral Palsey Center in Atlanta to school. I learned to love him and all the other children there at the school. Later when I was working on my Masters at Emory, I decided to do a research study on the relationship between CP children’s self concepts on their achievement in school. I simply could not pull myself away from them. No matter whether they could or could not walk or talk it made no difference. They all had worth and they were all perfect in my eyes. Because of them, I have always been drawn to those children who are just a bit different from the others whether mentally or physically. All children deserve the same rights and I have always been an advice for them. You are perfect in God’s eyes, and no one can take that from you. Your blog is wonderful just as you are. Sleep tight...I will be back to see you soon.
    Hugs, Genie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are definitely intact! There are many people who appear to be whole but are missed up in their way of thinking. I would pick you for my "team" any time!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written Mumsy. I hope others with handicaps read your blog because they will gain inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you have time to see/read my post for Thursday. I am editing now and thinking about you and your post.

    Carol-the gardener

    ReplyDelete
  7. "...and I embrace it as long as i take..."

    And we embrace you as well dear Mumsy! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think each of us has a handicap. Some are visible to the naked eye and other require a closer look. Glad to know that people are respecting others differences better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In one way or another, we all have some sort of dent. You are so resilient and brave, that you are really an example to us all as to how to deal with our own dents.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's good for everyone to remember Mumsy that no one is perfect. Everyone has something. While I admit we've made strides in learning that, I think there's still a way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way you think. Your body had a little dent but...

    You are really wonderfully strong. I admire your determination each time I read about it.

    And I am always happy to see it is your link when I open it. You make me think, you make me feel.

    And I thank you for that.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I love the way you describe yourself as having a dent. I think I have a mental dent...ha. I love reading your post, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for such an insightful look at the 'dents' we all share!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved your post. It got me thinking, and I liked your use of the word "dent." Seems like we all have a dent. Some are more visible than others, but we've all got at least one.

    Thanks for sharing your feelings. I think your heart is considerably larger than your dent.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this post. It got me thinking, and I like your use of the word "dent." Seems like we all have a dent. Some are more visible than others, but we all have at least one.

    Thanks for sharing your feelings. I think your heart is considerably larger than your dent is.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mumsy, we all have some type of dent. It's what makes us human. I'm so glad you embrace your life as it is. You are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mumsy one's attitude can either make or break a person. You seem to have a healthy outlook. After all, it's the pea in the pod that is important and not the pod itself. You have a beautiful soul. Thank you for sharing it with us. God bless. ~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our BODY encompasses so much more than the physicalities, and your post certainly is a reflection of that. Lovely photos here on your blog and your Header is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mumsy, it is a shame that still people look at the outside rather than the inner soul of a person. You have struggled and as a result become strong and confident.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It always amazes me that people are punished or applauded for things they are born with.

    ReplyDelete
  21. individuality and accepting it should always be applauded.

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a beautiful and brave post. thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

I promise to visit you soon! But if your profile isn't public, and if you use GOOGLE+ comment form, I won't be able to return comment!

***LINK IN COMMENT WON'T BE PUBLISHED!!!***

I write what I feel, how I feel and whatever I like at the moment

MAKE IT BETTER!

Total Pageviews

  © Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover