Please update this blog URL to:
Thank you so very much!!!

Thursday, April 29, 2010

O is For Organized Watchdogs

I didn't remember the year when the orphanage was robbed, but I remembered how fun it was for us kids. We were robbed badly, every night, for a very long time! It got so bad that we all had to take a shift during the night to be guard dogs.

Each group had one nun as the leader, and had a three-hour window to watch over the whole property. We had no weapons whatsoever! Our defense tools were pots and pans! If we suspected thieves inside the orphanage walls, we used our hands to smack the pots or pans to make noises to alarm others.


My two best friends traded with other kids' shifts so we could be together. This was one of those rare occasions that we could talk. It was like a secret society for us! We signed up for the 3:00 to 6:00 AM window, since at this time people were exhausted and often hid themselves somewhere on the property to continue with their sleep.

The orphanage had to be self sufficient, and provided for itself as much as it could by raising pigs, chickens, ducks, and growing their own vegetables. All of us had to take turn caring for the animals and vegetables. We never got to eat the meat from these animals, or tasted the fresh vegetables. They were sold to the market before we even knew where they went to.

Since the orphanage had such a good supplies of foods on hands, thieves decided to target us every night. They stole animals, ripped up all the vegetables, and picked all the fruits off the trees leaving a huge loss for us.


So we became the organized watchdogs! It was pathetic to see groups of small young children walked the night like zombies with pots and pans in their hands, but as you've known, children are Kings of inventive and creative fun! When we were bored enough or fallen to sleep, we started banging the pots and pans just to see people in the orphanage scrambled all over.

My friends and I were of course, smart enough to take full advantage of these occasions to sneak some fruits into our stomach. Actually, I believed all the kids did while the orphanage was undergone these attack periods. Every night before our shift, we decided on what fruit tree would be our meal for the night if the banging began, and ran to it for our fills when it did.

Though it was a terrible ordeal to the orphanage, scary and sad, but when you were unfortunate children, you made the best of that terrible situation too!

Visit other entries at Jenny's blog, by clicking on the image below!


(Read my Childhood Series here!)





MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

22 comments:

  1. How terrible! To steal from orphans yet! But if it provided an opportunity to eat, I bet the night vigils were very popular and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mumsy! Where was this orphanage?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you have some wonderful memories of a tough situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 5thSister,

    It was in VietNam, way back from large city!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its great that you kids got to sneak some food for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I imagine the bonds forged between you & your friends at the orphanage during such bad times have lasted a lifetime. I hope so, you had it tougher than most.
    ~Maggie~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mumsy this story was too cute! I had the vision of you kids like sneaking zombies having fun, like you said you get creative...I bet that is one of your fondest memories oddly enough! Did you ever really catch a thief?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love your survival skills - such instinct. Do you wonder how/where the other children are today? Even I do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love that you all used pots and pans :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This orphanage is something else! You kids- then- adults now, were brilliant with so many wonderful ingenuousness. Smile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. there cant be much worse situation than stealing from orphans ... how horrible ... at least you have some happy memories ... that fruit must have tasted delicious to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great story. So glad you shared it and a small portion of your life. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am inclined to think that these watch duties were probably the highlight of your week!

    I suspect no more zealous volunteers were to be found in that orphanage!

    I'm glad you had some happy companionship and something to eat during those horrible years.

    I look forward to this stop each week, Mumsy to see what the next part of your story will be...although I never imagine it correctly.

    A+

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aren't kids great at making the best of a bad situation? Although I can't imagine sending children out in the night to guard against thieves. Glad you were able to make some fun (and get some food!) out of your guard duty. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am totally in love with your story:) Like you said, it was a bad situation but kids have this amazing way of turning anything into fun! I love that you look back on this as a fond memory and not a terrifying situation. I love that you took the fruit too...Lil rebels:) I look forward to reading more about you and checking back to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my, what a wonderful story. I am so glad you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You painted such a poignant, vivid picture of you kids skulking in the night with pots and pans as your weapons. So like a scene from Robert Louis Stevenson.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Isn't it neat, that children's minds are so creative? You took a bad situation and had a little fun with it, and got a little needed nourishment, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your stories are so vivid and give us a picture of life many of us would never know existed. I like the way you and the other children discovered fun in this time of vigilence. I am sorry that you all should have been so hungry when there was wonderful fruit, vegetables, and nutritional meat; right there at the orphanage.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for being open and honest about your life. I'm sorry you had to suffer through, but you sound like a resilient person. I'll be back to read more as your new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mumsy, it is hard to imagine that someone could steep so low as to steal from children (orphans at that), but then there were others that were none too kind. It is wonderful that you and the other children were no ingenious. Do you have any contact with any of them now?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad that a bad situation actually created a good situation for you and some of the other children.

    ReplyDelete

I promise to visit you soon! But if your profile isn't public, and if you use GOOGLE+ comment form, I won't be able to return comment!

***LINK IN COMMENT WON'T BE PUBLISHED!!!***

I write what I feel, how I feel and whatever I like at the moment

MAKE IT BETTER!

Total Pageviews

  © Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover