Please update this blog URL to:
Thank you so very much!!!

Thursday, April 8, 2010

L is For Love

My aunt was capable of love, an intense and deep love! Although I was not lucky enough to receive that gentle love from her, a little baby that she found in the garbage bag on her routine morning trip did.

If I was not mistaken, I was with her on that faithful day. Her duties was to walk from the orphanage to the church area to prepare the altar, started the morning prayer, and overlooked the mass. It always began at 6:00, and was done by 7:30 every morning.

There was a stretch of road that had no houses or anything, but just tall grass. I hated this part because we always ran into snakes. One day when we reached the end of this stretch, my aunt stood still and listened. Of course, I was with her long enough to know not to move a muscle.


She proceeded into the tall grass and disappeared for a while. As my aunt came back out dragging a bag, I knew instantly that she had found another baby. The little wiggly thing laid among the garbage in the bag, and was filled with biting red ants. She picked up the baby, and tried to brush these ants off the body. The baby moaned softly, so soft that I couldn't hear when a breeze of wind brushed by.

She took a handkerchief out of her pocket to wipe the ants off when they started gripping on her skin. Then she ran with the baby in her arms and called for me to follow. She ran as fast as she could to the orphanage. The baby was in critical condition and had stopped moaning.

Later that night, after the baby was washed, cared for, and well fed, I found out it was a boy! He had yellowish hair color, blue eyes, and skin as white as paper! He was a very beautiful baby. He became the love of my aunt's life, and as he became my aunt's miracle son, he had also became my first enemy!


My aunt gave me full responsibility of this boy, morning to night! I was not old enough to take care of a baby, but every time he whined, I had to wake up in the middle of night to feed him. If I didn't stop him from crying, then I would get the whipping myself. She treated him like her son, but I was his nurse, from feeding, bathing, to changing bandages on his bitten body.

I was jealous with the intense love that my aunt seemed to pour out on him. I hated him for his present since I was responsible for his being. Yes, he was just an innocent baby, but I was exhausted taking care of him. Many nights I fallen asleep hanging half of my body over his crib's railing, which I barely could reach myself unless I stood on the bottom bar across the crib.

The more my aunt showered him with love, the bigger my resentment grew!

(I will pick up from here for next week since this post has gotten too long.)

Check out other entries at Jenny's blog!



(View my Childhood Series here!)





MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

23 comments:

  1. Hello Mumsy!
    Great story. Until next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Mumsy! You write so movingly, I'm interested to see how this story continues. I see we chose the same L word today, but our posts could not be more different! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting story, Mumsy. That childhood jealousy, intense as it is, is fairly common when an only child or a youngest child is 'displaced' by a new baby.

    Can't wait for the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wonder what it is that can make a person love one child and hate another. It happens even in biologically straightforward families, and it baffles me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always after I read about your aunt, I always think what could have happened in her life that she always treated you so poorly. I can never come up with anything though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, sweetie, I wish I could give you a hug right now....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mumsy, you have so many moving stories to tell. Until next time . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so caught up in your story. While it saddens me to read the pain you went through I wait for the next installment somewhat unpatiently.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mumsy...your story is quite compelling. and sharing it with us is a gift. until next week...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mumsy, it is certainly a mystery why one can mistreat a child or even an animal. We used to have boys in (high school) class who would brag about pouring gasoline on a cat or dog and setting them on fire to watch them run. There is something deeply wrong with someone who can inflict pain without remorse. I am so glad you made it out with your heart intact, hurting, yet still able to show compassion. You are truly a miracle. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness, I never know what to say after reading your posts. But I always come back because you write so well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you sweetie... What a story! I hopped over from Alphabe-Thursday and am so happy that I did! I am the new kid in class, and learning my way around. Please accept my invitation to drop in at my place one day this week when you get a moment. until later...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whew...that one gave me goose bumps. You where just a baby yourself, wow, that is what has made you such and awesome Mom today...I believe there is a reason...till your next story....

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow ... that was soooooo interesting ... i also wonder what makes someone love one child more than another ... there is such strangeness in this world ... i look forward to your next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Mumsy. Your posts always give me pause.

    I need to read them several times and reflect on what you are telling me.

    I am always amazed at your strength...

    And I am always saddened by the situations that confronted you in every aspect of your young life.


    Thank you for adding your words and texture to our journey each week through Alphabe-Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I certainly can see why you felt the way you did.

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a huge responsibility she put on you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Favoritism is so common in families. Your story touched my heart and I look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think what you've shared is a part of being human. Through your wonderful story, I get that we can love and care for another even with jealousy or hatred. I believe we - as humans- have more strength than we know. It is about setting aside that small insignificant - yet large at times - to do what is right. Today you moved me again Mumsy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a story and how unfair that was to you. I'm looking forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  21. God blessed you. By your not allowing human instinct to set in and take revenge on this innocent baby that could have easily been a target of your own hurt. Until next week....

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think any child would feel just like you did.......

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mumsy, when I read what you write I feel like I am seeing through your eyes as a child. Your posts are so real and honest. I cannot imagine all the feelings that must have coursed through your small body at different times... Taking on adult responsibilities and not allowed to be a child yourself, as well as being the care-giver for the outsider who usurped the love you so needed and craved...
    I so want to hear what happens next.

    ReplyDelete

I promise to visit you soon! But if your profile isn't public, and if you use GOOGLE+ comment form, I won't be able to return comment!

***LINK IN COMMENT WON'T BE PUBLISHED!!!***

I write what I feel, how I feel and whatever I like at the moment

MAKE IT BETTER!

Total Pageviews

  © Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover