Please update this blog URL to:
Thank you so very much!!!

Thursday, March 18, 2010

I Is For Intensive Care

Waking up in a tub full of ice cubes and was not able to move scare me. Although I was not strong enough to stir, I realized quickly that I was in a different world, a very clean and sterile world.

I remember every time I woke up, Captain Cook was there looking at me and smiling to comfort the little confused girl who had no idea where she was. My parents were not notified, thus I was all alone under the care of Captain Cook and the Military Hospital. I was treated with kindness, loving, and in constant companies with every personnel in this part of the ward.


I was in and out of consciousness for many days onward. I never asked for my aunt nor saw her. I didn't even ask for my parents, nor my brothers and sisters. I was alone. I was seriously sick. Ice cubes kept pouring on top of my body, and the only person that I felt close to was Captain Cook.

He didn't miss a day visiting me. I was more his daughter than a daughter could be, and he was more of a father to me than a total stranger. My life was literally in his hands. By the second week, I was moved into a regular bed along with other soldiers. I was out of danger and on the way to recovery.

When I finally gained total consciousness, I found my bed between two African American soldiers, and screamed on top of my lung. As I turned to my right side, one would smile at me with his pearly white teeth, and as I turned to my left, the other did the same. My screamed set off the panic button in the ward, and Captain Cook came running to my side. When I pointed to the two African-American soldiers, they all laughed.

That was the first time I saw African-American people, but we became friends while I was in the hospital afterward.


The next two weeks of recovery were just heaven. I remembered laughing, smiling, eating until my belly belched, drinking soda and juice for the very first time. He was always there every day. My Captain Cook! He made sure that I was properly taken care of. A very intensive care in its true meaning! An intensive care even when I was well.

One day Captain Cook surprised me with a little white toy dog. I remembered it well. The dog had a very long hair, all white, and came with a little blue comb hanging around its neck. He taught me how to take the comb out, and played with the dog. It was the most beautiful and precious toy I had ever seen in my entire life.

He ordered that toy dog the day he took me in to the hospital, all the way from America, and I was finally well enough to play with it.

Check out other entries at Jenny's blog!



(View my Childhood Series here!)





MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

21 comments:

  1. these posts have me completely spell bound! Finally...a little piece of happiness. I have a feeling the proverbial shoe is about to drop but I don't want to go there right now. Right now I want to bask in your happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a wonderful story, I laughed so hard when you said you where scared you had never seen an African American....how sweet and what a fond memory even though you where ill,it sounded like one of the greatest times for you!!~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Captain Cook was truly a guardian angel sent to watch over you. What a tragedy that it took a nearly fatal illness to bring you to a place where you could finally feel some love, comfort and joy. Love the memory of that toy dog, and I'm sure that it is a precious memory for you too. Hugs, Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, again, for sharing another account of your travails.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had a real live super hero in Capt. Cook!

    These stories are wonderful to read. I love your reaction to seeing African Americans for the first time and having someone explain it to you. That's precious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being in a tub of ice must have been excruciating. I can't even imagine what that felt like. But good thing for Captain Cook he sounds like a lovely man and I'm happy that he was still there for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been enjoying your life story.. so very intense. my heart goes out to you and I am glad you are now able to share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Captain Cook was a hero indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing story. Thanks for sharing it... from an African American woman also smiling at the fact that you screamed at the two men on either side of you....

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. so nice to have someone care :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder...were the bits of happiness worse in the midst of all the bad things?

    Or did it make the bad things feel worse in comparison.

    Or were they just little trinkets of hope to string around your heart as protection and joy?

    Your story is beyond intriquing.

    I am there with you.

    Were I to be so thoughtless as to grade you I would give you an A+ for content.

    However, what I'd really like to do is make you a cup of tea and give you a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Captain Cook sounds like an angel. God bless him! Thanks so much for sharing. My youngest son had to be placed in icy baths a number of times as a toddler as he would have high fevers and go into convulsions. I imagine that was pretty frightening for him, but I made sure to be there.

    Take care & God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with Jenny,a cup of tea and big hugs are in order ...it warms my heart to hear the happier tiny bits of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great story Mumsy.
    You remembered that moment as if it was just yesterday.
    Wonderful and caring Capt. Cook.
    I hope he still around.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a sweet story and nice to learn of a happy, healing time in the midst of all the other difficult days of your childhood. I also laughed picturing you waking up with the friendly African American soldiers on either side. I want to know what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish I have a Captain Cook too.
    Glad everything worked out.

    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. An episode of peace and happiness. I am glad you had some time of fun and care.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish you couldve just stayed there in intensive care....it makes me so sad to think of you having to go back to that horrible place....I am glad you have this happy memory.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing another part of your story. Your Captain Cook sounds like a wonderful man!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this Post Mumsy... your story is intense and captivating.

    Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete

I promise to visit you soon! But if your profile isn't public, and if you use GOOGLE+ comment form, I won't be able to return comment!

***LINK IN COMMENT WON'T BE PUBLISHED!!!***

I write what I feel, how I feel and whatever I like at the moment

MAKE IT BETTER!

Total Pageviews

  © Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover