Please update this blog URL to:
Thank you so very much!!!

Friday, February 5, 2010

Home Made Wonton Soup

Cooking is on my list of things that I dreaded doing, but in an effort to eat more healthy foods I pick up on my cooking once again. On top of that, my little boy said that he wanted a gourmet dinner a day. Can you believe that?

So here is my first attempt to Home Made Wonton Soup.


Gather Ingredients to Make the Broth

  • 2-3 carrots. I use a handful of baby carrots
  • 2-3 stalks of celery
  • Onion
  • 4-5 slices of ginger
  • Salt and pepper
In a pot of water, put in all the above ingredients and cook until the carrot is tender. My family like the carrots to still have a bit of hardness to them.

This is my son's bowl with less vegetables

Prepare Your Wontons

  • Wonton wrappers
  • 20-25 medium size shrimps, peeled, and minced with shredded carrot
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 egg to seal the edges of the wonton
Mix minced shrimp and carrot in a small bowl, and season it to your taste. You can be as creative as you want with your filling by adding different ingredients that your family likes. Spoon it onto the wonton wrapper, and seal the edges with the egg.

This is my bowl with more vegetables

When the broth is done, discard the onion, ginger pieces, and celery. Whisk in the left-over egg quickly for extra protein, and drop in your prepared wontons to cook them down. It takes about 5 to eight minutes. You can tell the wontons are done when the skin turns translucent as they're cooked. (If you prefer to have a clearer broth, cook your wontons in a different pot of boiling water.)

I also add a handful of pea pod to my soup since I love vegetables.

Tips
  • Replace shrimp with ground pork, ground turkey or ground chicken
  • Substitute pea pod for spinach, any other leafy greens, or combine all for vegetable lovers
  • I used ginger slices in my cooking to keep the cold/flu away
Feast your eyes on other dishes at Foodie Friday and Food on Fridays!




MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

8 comments:

  1. I've never used wonton wrappers. are they easy to work with? I would love to give this a try as a possible Lenten meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if my comment took or not so I will try again. I was wondering if the wonton wrappers were hard to work with. I would love to be able to prepare this dish as a possible Lenten meal. Thanks, Mumsy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mumsy, won-ton soup has always been a favorite of my hubby's. Thank you so much for this recipe. I'd love to try it!

    Happy Foodie Friday...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 5thsister,

    The wonton wrapper is very easy to manipulate..After you put your filling in, pinch and push it to make your designs. I had this in mind for Lenten season also..Thanks for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really delicious. I've never tried making my own wontons, but this recipe is encouraging me to have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love using won ton wrappers. I put in crabmeat and onion cream cheese. and make a french onion soupy base to cook them in. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonton is one of my favs. thanks for sharing!!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there! I have definitely seen you around since my short time on the internet. I was always a soup girl and I will try this style. Come visit me sometime :-)

    ReplyDelete

I promise to visit you soon! But if your profile isn't public, and if you use GOOGLE+ comment form, I won't be able to return comment!

***LINK IN COMMENT WON'T BE PUBLISHED!!!***

I write what I feel, how I feel and whatever I like at the moment

MAKE IT BETTER!

Total Pageviews

  © Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover