Please update this blog URL to:
Thank you so very much!!!

Friday, February 19, 2010

Friday Hot and Sour Fish Soup

Lent has just begun this week, and I am part of those million Christians who need to fast. I have no complaints because I love seafood so really I don't feel like I'm fasting at all. Maybe I should fast on seafood instead!

I ordered this soup in a Vietnamese restaurant, and it cost me around 15 dollars for a large bowl. It fed about two adults, so I decided to re-create my own without the MSG, and at a fraction of the cost.


Gather Your Ingredients

  • 4 pieces of cat fish steaks, or cat fish nuggets if you prefer no bones
  • 1 tablespoon of cooking oil
  • A handful of okra, washed and cut into 1 inch
  • 2 ripe tomatoes, washed and cut into quarters
  • 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
  • A few slices of ginger root
  • 2 stalks of celery, washed and cut into 1 inch
  • 1/2 cup of canned chunky pineapple pieces
  • Bean sprout
  • Cilantro
  • 1 red hot pepper, sliced
  • salt, black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons of vinegar
Prepare to Cook
  • Add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in the pot
  • Sweat the onion, tomato pieces, and ginger slices
  • Fill the pot with water, and bring to a boil
  • Season your broth with salt, pepper, and vinegar to taste
  • Add in the cat fish, okra, pineapple pieces, and celery
  • Cook until the fish is done, and turn off the heat
  • Add in your bean sprout
  • Top with cilantro before serving

This recipe sounds complicated because you'll need lots of ingredients, but once when you have everything cut, prepare; cooking it is a breeze. Just make sure you taste the hot and sour part of the soup then work it up to your liking.

It is better to add a little vinegar and hot pepper pieces at the beginning, and then bring them to a higher level if you so choose.

Tips
  • Replace cat fish for your choice of fish
  • Shrimps and squids work well with this soup also

Feast your eyes on other dishes at




MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

10 comments:

  1. this looks very yummy; yup, it is better to make it yourself because you are not only saving money, but you can make it better tasting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought some catfish, but I think I'll bread it and fry it this time.--- Oh I know, it's not as healthy, but I promise to do healthy next time! This soup looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful food photography. I think I would like this. Unfortunately my poor tummy is having a relapse. (I've lost 4 lbs in 2 days.) I will bookmark this for later, however.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Sinigang! Look so yummy especially the soup and I saw okra too. :)
    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hhmm... i think my hubby will surely like this... he likes fish with soup.. kaso I can't cook if I'm still not able to taste.. di ko makukuha lasa.. hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm Looks great and... I'll bet the broth is delicious too~
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hot and sour soup will clean your sinuses, sa opinyon ko...:)) Anything hot will actually do it. I will try making some of this in the summer. Not good to let the house smell like fish in the winter matagal mawala. On summer I can open every window to let some air in, I miss fish sinigang.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great. I love this!
    Thank you dear one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it looks really good...I am such a fan of soup anyway! melinda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, this looks so good for this lentel friday.

    ReplyDelete

I promise to visit you soon! But if your profile isn't public, and if you use GOOGLE+ comment form, I won't be able to return comment!

***LINK IN COMMENT WON'T BE PUBLISHED!!!***

I write what I feel, how I feel and whatever I like at the moment

MAKE IT BETTER!

Total Pageviews

  © Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover