Please update this blog URL to:
Thank you so very much!!!

Friday, February 26, 2010

Friday Fasting Meal

We celebrate the first Friday of Lent with a simple meal. Our meal was not fancy, just enough protein, grain and vitamins for fasting. I like simple cooking, easy meal plan, and uncomplicated baking.

I made a batch of these Red Lobster Style Cheddar Cheese Biscuits, and you can find the recipe online too. I made some adjustments to cut down the salt content for health reasons.


Gather Ingredients For Dough

  • 2 cups Bisquick biscuit mix
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 melted tablespoons butter, prefer low sodium
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Ingredients For Brush On
  • 1/4 cup melted butter, prefer low sodium
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley or chive
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder


Making the Biscuits
  • Preheat oven to 400 degree.
  • Mix biscuit mix, milk, butter/margarine and cheddar cheese thoroughly until soft dough forms
  • Drop dough by using two spoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.
  • Bake for 8 minutes, then take them out to brush on the butter mixture below, and bake for another 2 minutes or until golden brown.
Mix melted butter, garlic powder, and dried parsley or chive. Brush this mixture over warm biscuits before removing from cookie sheet. Make about 10-12 biscuits.


While the biscuits were in the oven, I boiled up four eggs. Then I slice them into six pieces, and top them over my Spring Mix salad.


Before serving the salad, I sprinkled on top some cranraisins, and light Italian dressing. That was our dinner for last Friday, and maybe a few more to come.

Tips
  • I bought a bag of ready mixed organic salad for about $2.50 to feed three, which was a steal
  • Substitute parsley, or chive for the herbs of your liking such as rosemary, or basil
  • Make sure your margarine or butter contains low sodium or the biscuits will turn out too salty to eat since the cheddar cheese is a bit on the salty side already
  • Healthy meal and very affordable
Feast your eyes on other dishes at

Thanks for being here!


16 comments:

  1. First - yummmmmmmmm!

    The meal may have been easy to make, but it's yummy and BEAUTIFUL to look at.

    Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy. Love it.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the salad also looks healthy :-); patikim ng lobster cake mo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious looking! I am having trouble around here with the "simple meal" idea. McDonald's (I know) put their fish sandwiches -- much beloved by my husband -- on sale for lent. Somehow, indulging in fast food does not seem very lenten to me, but a cheap fish sandwich seems perfectly appropriate to my husband. ;)

    Thanks for the recipe and inspiration, Mumsy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Red Lobster biscuits look so amazing! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous! i wanna pick one of those biscuits---yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your recipe, so easy to make and absolutely yummy as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so nice to see your Lenten simplicity. It's beautiful but modest. Thanks for linking up to Food on Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks very yummy. I love those biscuits and always enjoy a salad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Certainly looks good I must say! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like simple food, too. To savor the food as it is can be a refreshing change from all the spiced-up and blended flavors of cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wait a minute, didn't you say you can't cook? Those biscuits look off the hook good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow!!! i must live in your house.. my body needs serious overhaul.. I need a healty lifestyle! your meal looks so good!

    ReplyDelete

I promise to visit you soon! But if your profile isn't public, and if you use GOOGLE+ comment form, I won't be able to return comment!

***LINK IN COMMENT WON'T BE PUBLISHED!!!***

I write what I feel, how I feel and whatever I like at the moment

MAKE IT BETTER!

Total Pageviews

  © Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover