Please update this blog URL to:
Thank you so very much!!!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup

I don't like cooking, because it is such a chore to cook for one person. There is no joy in eating alone, and there is no "ooh or aah" noise that makes the meal interesting. However, I have to eat therefore I have to cook.

In an effort to get my little guy to try different things, and introducing him to new vegetables, I bought a butternut squash for the first time for less than two dollars. I peeled the tough skin outside, cored out the seeds in the middle, and chopped it up into bite size cubes.


Then I put the squash pieces in a pot of water with four pieces of sliced ginger to cook them down until tender, while I peeled the shrimps, and gave it a bit of mashing. In the meantime, I also soaked some clear noodles, which can be found at Meijer or Asian market.


After the squash is fork-tendered, I put in the shrimp pieces to cook for another five minutes. I only used salt and pepper to season the soup. Place your clear noodles in a serving bowl, pour the squash soup on top, and sprinkle with green onion or cilantro.

This soup turned out delicious, and all natural. My little guy loved the noodles and the broth. He wouldn't eat the squash though, but I know he got them in the broth.

Tips

  • If you don't like seafood, substitute with thinly sliced chicken breast or pork pieces.
  • You can also blend this squash soup if you like creamy texture. Just use the green onion and cilantro to top it at the end.
  • This whole pot of soup costs me less than five dollars to make, and can feed four people easily.
  • Ginger and squash are great sources for health benefits.

Feast your eyes on other entries below.





MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

5 comments:

  1. I have 2 butternut squash sitting on the counter... this gives me an idea. Thanks.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a YUMMY!!! idea for soup. I have become a follower, I love to share recipes and ideas. Come by and visit my you can do the same. Enter my NEW!!! and GREAT!!! giveaway.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this is a very different soup. So many of the buttenut squash recipes are simply pureed! I think my husband would enjoy this one. I was oogling your flower pictures. I miss mine too. Was going through old stored photos a few days ago and thinking that I'll be looking forward to the gardens again...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies for coming by! I really appreciate your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a healthy soup. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

I promise to visit you soon! But if your profile isn't public, and if you use GOOGLE+ comment form, I won't be able to return comment!

***LINK IN COMMENT WON'T BE PUBLISHED!!!***

I write what I feel, how I feel and whatever I like at the moment

MAKE IT BETTER!

Total Pageviews

  © Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Pin It button on image hover